[Satan’s] strategy is to stir up
anger between family members. Satan is the “father of contention, and he
stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another” (3 Ne.
11:29; emphasis added). The verb stir sounds like a recipe for disaster: Put
tempers on medium heat, stir in a few choice words, and bring to a boil;
continue stirring until thick; cool off; let feelings chill for several days;
serve cold; lots of leftovers.
My second husband had been
divorced and he and his first wife had one child together. I was fairly naïve to divorce, and thought
that she and I would take a few casual trips to the park and let the children
play while we got to know one another. I
quickly realized how inaccurate my assumptions had been. The first time I met her, she thrust her son
(who was almost 8) behind her as if she was protecting him from a firing
squad. I was shocked at her
response. Not too long after my
marriage, she started throwing around slanderous accusations about my children
and out came the momma bear. I was
livid. How dare she? She didn’t even know me or my children! Why was she trying to ruin my life?
I stewed over this for
months. I didn’t sleep at night. I had nightmares night after night until
finally, I realized that my feelings toward this woman and this situation were
keeping me from my Savior. I was
allowing anger to dominate my life.
It is interesting that, in Alma,
when Zarahemna is trying to control the Lamanites, he stirs them to anger
against the Nephites. Anger demonstrates
a lack of control. Have you ever said,
“I lost my temper” or “’they made me mad!”
Elder Lynn G. Robbins reminds us that, “This is a myth that must be
debunked. No one makes us mad. Others don’t make us angry. There is no force
involved. Becoming angry is a conscious choice, a decision; therefore, we can
make the choice not to become angry. We choose!”
To argue this point further, one
might ask why we can maintain our composure in front of our peers when we are
attacked, but if we’re attacked at home, we lose our cool. We do have the ability to choose.
Elder Robbins goes further, “To
those who say, “But I can’t help myself,” author William Wilbanks responds:
‘Nonsense.’ ‘Aggression, … suppressing the anger, talking about it, screaming
and yelling,’ are all learned strategies in dealing with anger.”
I had an epiphany one day. I realized that if I died and went to be
judged, my anger, my malice would be keeping me from my Savior, not the one who
offended me. So, I prayed for the
ability to forgive, and eventually it came along with the peace that I’d been
seeking.
No comments:
Post a Comment