Often it takes great humility to
make a marriage work; to make a family work.
When we are more focused upon being right than upon doing what is right,
we are caught in the trap of pride. It
can happen to the best of us.
A few years back, I found myself
in a marriage that I didn’t feel I was deserving of. The words of Jonathan Haidt rang true, “Each
of us thinks we see the world directly, as it really is. If [others] don’t agree, it follows either
that they have not yet been exposed to the relevant facts or else that they are
blinded by their interests and ideologies . . . Everyone is influenced by
ideology and self-interest. Except for
me. I see things as they are.”
True. I couldn’t have said it better
myself. Or could I?
In my marriage, I felt that I saw
things as they really were, and my spouse had a distorted view of almost
everything. I saw my experiences through
the lense of my own hurt and disappointment.
I called my best friend up to tell
her that I wanted out of my marriage. I
felt I had built up a case with sufficient evidence to justify a divorce. (As if that’s the way it really works). After all, I’d been building the case for
almost 9 months. That is when she gave
me her advice. “Work on you. Work on
yourself for the next year.”
Once I got over the initial shock
of her statement, I had to admit my gratitude for this friend. I went to her because I knew she would tell
me exactly what I needed to hear, and she did.
It was time to swallow my pride.
I took her words to heart and went
to work. I began working on myself. It began with the Pathway program, which
increased my spirituality in many significant ways. My scripture study became steady and
consistent. I stretched myself and made
friends. Once Pathway ended, I
transitioned to BYU Idaho as a student, following the prompting to work toward
a degree in Marriage and Family. To be
more socially involved, I joined a women’s chorus. I began to live again and I was finding
happiness in little ways. My husband and
I enrolled in self-improvement courses. I
started meeting with a counselor, and I worked diligently to implement all that
I had learned into my life. The Lord was
changing me into a better person, and I was loving it.
“Humility,” says Dr. H. Wallace
Goddard, “is the friend of truth. In order to be saved, we must stop trying to
save ourselves by our own power. We must
turn ourselves over to Christ completely.”
President Ezra Taft Benson teaches that “God will have a humble
people. Either we can choose to be
humble or we can compelled to be humble.”
My husband did not like my
improving. He became resentful of the
changes, and we ultimately divorced, but only after I had done all within my power to change for the better. I would have a clear conscience before the Lord.
Although life’s circumstances have
driven to my knees on many occasions, my sincere hope and my sincere prayer is
that I will continue to seek humility in my own life by: receiving counsel and
chastisement, forgiving, serving, going on missions, going to the temple,
confessing and forsaking my sins, submitting to God’s will and putting Him
first in my life. I know that these actions will lead to a happier family and a
more joyful and fulfilling life.

No comments:
Post a Comment